Is Your Landscape Past Its Prime? Get a Fresh New Look With a Landscape Renovation
Your landscape design is the first thing that visitors notice when they come to your home, and you want to make a great first impression. If your landscaping is looking dated, it may be time for a landscape renovation project.
Read more to discover how a landscape makeover can increase the value of your home or business. You’ll also find our pro tips on how to get started.
Benefits of Landscape Renovation
Increase Your Home’s Curb Appeal
A beautiful and well-maintained landscape can make a significant difference in the way your home looks from the street. A well-manicured lawn, a variety of trees and shrubs, and colorful flowers can make your home stand out, warmly welcome your friends and even create a lasting impression on potential buyers. This last benefit of a landscape renovation can be especially important if you plan to sell your home in the near future.
Create a Functional Outdoor Living Space
Another benefit of a landscape renovation is that it can create an outdoor living space you can’t wait to use. Your backyard can be transformed into an oasis where you can relax and enjoy the beauty of nature. By adding features such as a patio, deck or fire pit, you can extend your living space and create a welcoming environment for family and friends. This well-equipped space can also be a significant selling point for potential buyers who are looking for a house that offers gracious outdoor living.
Improve Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
A landscape renovation project can also improve your home’s energy efficiency. By strategically planting trees and shrubs, you can create shade and reduce the amount of heat that enters your home during the summer months. In turn, you’ll save on cooling costs and make your home more comfortable. Planting trees and shrubs can also help block cold winds during the winter months, which can help reduce your heating costs.
Increase Your Home’s Property Value
Finally, a landscape renovation project can increase your home’s property value. By creating a beautiful and functional outdoor living space, you are adding value to your home that potential buyers will appreciate. A well-landscaped property is a sign of a well-maintained home, and it can help attract more buyers and increase your home’s resale value. According to the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), proper landscaping can add 15 to 20 percent to the value of your home.
Even more important, a landscape renovation can help you get the most enjoyment out of your home, whether you plan to be in it for a few years or a few decades.
Get Started on Your Landscape Renovation Project
If you are considering a landscape renovation, there are several things you can do to get started.
Assess Your Current Landscape and Goals
Now’s the time to assess your current landscape. Evaluate the state of your lawn, trees, shrubs and other plants. What about your hardscaping features like walkways, retaining walls or patios? Identify areas that need improvement or that don’t fit with your desired aesthetic or functionality. As you assess your current landscaping, you should also determine your budget and timeline for the project, as these parameters will impact your choices for the design and implementation.
- Evaluate the current state of your landscape: Walk around your property and take note of any areas that need improvement, such as dead or diseased plants, overgrown trees or outdated hardscaping.
- Identify areas that need improvement: Consider how you want to use your outdoor space and what kind of design and features will complement your home’s architecture and style. Who will use the space and at what times of day or evening? Think about the needs of your family, and of other people you plan to entertain.
- Determine your budget and timeline: Decide how much money and time you want to invest in your project, as this will impact the scope and scale of the renovation.
Choosing a Landscape Designer
Once you have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish, you can start researching landscaping companies in your area. When choosing a landscaping company, be sure to look for one with experience in the type of project you are planning. Ask for references and check online reviews to ensure the company has a reputation for quality work. Also be sure to get a detailed estimate and contract before work begins, so you know exactly what to expect.
- Research local landscape designers: Ask if they’ve worked on the type of project you’re considering, whether that’s hardscaping, drainage and irrigation or landscape design.
- Evaluate their portfolios and reviews: Browse their previous projects and read reviews and testimonials from past clients to get a sense of each company’s style, quality of work and customer service.
- Meet with them to discuss your project: Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, schedule a consultation with each designer to discuss your ideas, budget and timeline. Use this opportunity to ask questions and get a sense of how they approach their work.
Designing Your New Landscape
Once you’ve chosen a landscape design company, it’s time to work together to create a plan for your new landscape. The goal is to create a cohesive design that complements your home’s architecture and style.
- Work with your chosen landscape design company to create a plan: Collaborate with a professional to create a plan that fits your vision, budget and timeline.
- Consider factors such as climate, maintenance and functionality: Choose plants and materials that will thrive in your climate, require minimal maintenance and serve the purpose you want them to.
- Choose plants and materials that suit your taste and budget: Consider options such as native plants, low-maintenance turf alternatives, and recycled hardscaping materials.
Preparing for Renovation
Before you start your renovation project, you’ll need to obtain any necessary permits and approvals from your local government or homeowners’ association. You’ll also need to make arrangements for any necessary demolition or removal of existing features and plan for any necessary irrigation or lighting installation. When you partner with an expert landscape design and installation company, they will take care of all the hard work for you.
Invest in Your Home With a Landscape Renovation
It’s time to take your landscape from past its prime to prime time. Ready to take the next step in transforming your landscape? Schedule a consultation with Seasons Best Landscaping today. Don’t wait any longer to increase your home’s value and enjoy a beautiful, functional landscape!